Effective: March 1st, 2016
We recognize that when you provide us with information about yourself that you trust us to act in a responsible manner with that information.
Information collected and how it is used
The following describes the types of Personal Information and other information the Company may collect about you, and how the Company may use and maintain that information, including, but not limited to:
Registration. Before you can utilize certain services that we offer on the Site or otherwise, we may ask that you register with the Site and provide us with your email address, a password, your first and last name and other contact information and personal details. We request this information for identification purposes, to communicate with you regarding your account, and to facilitate the functioning of certain services. We may maintain certain Personal Information about you as long as reasonably necessary for us to complete our dealings with you, or as may be required by law.
Forms. To fully utilize the services we offer, you may be required to fill out forms that will contain Personal Information such as your name, address, telephone number, account information, health status and other information relevant to your health, diagnosis and treatment.
Medical Information. In order for medical professionals to give second opinions regarding your health, you may be required to provide us with past and current medical records, description of symptoms, a medical history and life-style descriptions. Once your case is submitted and closed, we endeavour to de-link /render anonymous your Personal Information like name, phone, email etc., from your medical records on a monthly basis.
Correspondence. If you correspond with us via email, we may gather in a file specific to you the information that you submit in order to communicate with you effectively and respond to any of your inquiries. We maintain certain Personal Information about you as long as reasonably necessary for us to complete our dealings with you, or as may be required by law.
URL and IP addresses. Company collects information about users’ utilization and navigation of our Site. This information helps us to design our Site to better suit our users’ needs. For example, our Site will track the URL that you visited before you came to our Site, the URL to which you next go and your Internet Protocol (IP) address. We use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our server and to administer our Site. Your IP address also is used to help identify you and to gather broad demographic information.
Information disclosure and usage
Company will not share, rent, sell or otherwise disclose any of the Personal Information that we collect about you, except when we have your permission or in any of the following situations:
- We may disclose Personal Information that we collect about you to our third-party contractors who perform services for Company in order to provide certain services or to complete or confirm a transaction that you conduct with us. We require these third-party contractors to use reasonable safeguards to protect your Personal Information in their custody or control. Occasionally we use service providers located outside of Canada to process and/or store Personal Information on the Company’s behalf. Please note that the Personal Information in the custody of these service providers may be subject to access by the law enforcement authorities of those jurisdictions in which the service providers are located. Our Privacy Officer/Customer Service Representative, whose contact information is below, can provide further information about our policies and practices regarding service providers and how they collect, use, disclose or store Personal Information on our behalf.
- We may disclose information about you as part of a merger, acquisition or other sale or transfer of the Company’s assets or business. The Company does not guarantee that any entity receiving such information in connection with one of these transactions will comply with all terms of this policy.
- We may disclose your Personal Information for purposes such as to provide services available on the Site; to coordinate with insurance, reinsurance and excess or stop loss insurers; to enforce our members’ rights; to protect against actual or potential fraud; to resolve member inquiries or disputes; to receive payments; to carry out our business; to protect the confidentiality or security of our records; to administer preventive health and case management programs; to perform underwriting, auditing and rate making functions; to enable our service providers to perform marketing services on our behalf and inform members about our own products or services; to comply with state laws and other applicable legal requirements.
- Moreover, we may be legally obligated to disclose Personal Information about you to the government or to third parties under certain circumstances, such as in connection with illegal activity on our Site or to respond to a subpoena, court order or other legal process. The Company reserves the right to release information that we collect to law enforcement or other government officials, as we, in our sole and absolute discretion, deem necessary or appropriate.
Security measures employed by the Site
Our Site requires users to give us unique identifiers in order to log into many areas of the Site. We utilize these unique identifiers to verify the user’s identity and eligibility, in order to protect our members from the release of sensitive or Personal Information to unauthorized users. To help protect the privacy of data you transmit through this Site, where Personal Information is requested, we also use technology designed to encrypt the information that you input before it is sent to us using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology or similar encryption technology. In addition, Company takes other reasonable physical, technical and organizational steps to protect the user data we collect against unauthorized access. However, you should keep in mind that this Site and our services are run on software, hardware and networks, any component of which may, from time to time, require maintenance or experience problems or breaches of security beyond our control.
Accessing, updating, or making corrections to information
You may access, correct or update Personal Information collected about you by managing your account profile or by contacting us at the email or mailing address noted below. We will use reasonable efforts to update our records. For our records, we may retain original and updated information for reasons such as technical constraints, dispute resolution, troubleshooting and agreement enforcement.
Your rights to access your Personal Information are not absolute, and the Company may deny access when: denial of access is required or authorized by law, when granting you access would have an unreasonable impact on other member’s privacy (unless we can sever the requested information from the Personal Information of others), and to protect our confidential commercial information. If we deny your request for access to, or refuse a request to correct information, we will explain why.
Linked sites and third-party sites
We do not knowingly collect or maintain Personal Information from persons who have not reached the age of majority in the Province or Territory of their resident (“Minors”), and no part of our Site is directed to Minors. IF YOU ARE A MINOR, PLEASE DO NOT USE OR ACCESS OUR SITE AT ANY TIME OR IN ANY MANNER. If the Company learns that Personal Information of Minors has been collected without verifiable parental consent, then the Company will take the appropriate steps to delete this information. If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your child who is a Minor has obtained a Company account, then you may alert the Company at the address below and request that we delete that child’s Personal Information from our systems.
Laws governing use of our services
This Site is controlled and operated by the Company from our offices within Ontario, Canada. Those who choose to access this Site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws, including privacy laws, if and to the extent local laws are applicable. Access to this Site from jurisdictions where the contents of this Site are illegal or penalized is prohibited.
113-1055 Canadian Place, Toronto, Ontario L4W 0C2
Phone and Title
1 (844) 462-7548
Or call +1 (416) 684 2678
CEO, yourdoctors.online (added responsibility of Chief privacy officer)
GDPR Updates (May 25, 2018)
These Updates include:
- The previous version may have been complicated and confusing in places, though not intended, for our customers and users. It addressed our privacy commitment to everyone, including customers/end-users, and has now been changed to reflect an easy to read, simple and clear document.
- This change in no way weakens our commitment to protecting the privacy and data of our customers, users, and visitors. The intention is to spell out any data our services capture on their behalf belongs to and controlled by them in an easy to understand way.
- Added a reference to Your Doctors Online support of Do Not Track (DNT) in addition to an Opt-Out Policy
- Outlined user rights to data and our commitment to safeguard said rights
- Added commitment to notifying customers and users of any security breach that affects personal data within 72 hours of our awareness of the security breach
- Denoted the specific articles of GDPR that relate to certain processing of data for the purposes specified
- Made changes to previous inconsistencies related to capitalization and grammar